Cultural Energizer “I Do”
Guided Instruction “We Do”
Collaborative “You do it together”
Independent “You do it alone”
Academic Content & Language
Oral Language Development
ALS Site Coordinators ensure that all English Learners at each individual school site are provided with an appropriate English Language Development (ELD) plan. Additionally, they monitor students for a period of four years who have reached the criteria necessary to exit from ELD services to ensure academic success in the mainstream.
- TELL Endorsement (BYU/ASD partnership)
- CUES ESL Endorsement (online)
- Western Governors University (online)
- University of Phoenix (online) – Check with USBE for course approval towards an ESL Endorsement.
- Application for the USBE Second Language Endorsement
WIDA Can Do Descriptors and Instructional Strategies
Grading Guidelines for ELs
- Colorin Colorado – This website contains a wealth of information for teachers and administrators about how to best support ELs including teaching strategies, videos, and articles. The information is available in both English and Spanish.
- UEN Resources for English Language Learners – UEN’s site contains links to many external sites dedicated to best practices, teaching ideas, online tools for students, and other resources that are designed to help ELs succeed in the mainstream classroom.
- WIDA Key Uses and Performance Definitions – This UEN site contains links to WIDA resources including the Can Do Descriptors Key Uses Editions.
- The Teaching Channel – A video-driven professional learning platform that provides continuous growth opportunities for educators of ELs.
- Empowering ELLs – Empowering ELLs* (English language learners) is a resource center for English as an Additional Language (EAL*) educators who want to empower their ELs (English learners) to achieve English proficiency, develop thinking skills, and possess eftive social skills.
- Alternative Language Services PD Bites – Take advantage of this professional learning opportunity. Earn relicensure points for each module you complete in this PD Bites course. (see flyer)
- 12 Ways to Support English Learners in the Mainstream Classroom
- Utah Effective Teacher Standards
Free Supplement Language Acquisition Programs(Does NOT replace Tier 1 instructions)
- Imagine Learning – The USBE has purchased licenses for every EL in Utah. In order to get set up in their classrooms, teachers need to contact our representative, Randy Tingey ([email protected] (801) 368-3197). In addition to use in the classroom, students can also acquire a home access code which enables them to use the program at home.
- Duolingo – This free program is adaptive and includes gamified elements to help students learn vocabulary and discourse necessary for everyday communication.
- Nearpod – Ready to run K -12 lessons delivered through an award winning interactive program. Please contact the ALS Department for log in information.