I’m a new employee. What do I need to do to get paid?

Get entered into the system by coming into Human Resources and filling out employee entry forms, and if you are over 18 years old, you will need to be fingerprinted.  Please bring photo id, social security card, bank account, and routing numbers and know how many exemptions you want to claim on your W4 form.  Your secretary will need to send in the notification of assignment to the Payroll Department.

At what rate do I accrue sick leave?

Provisional employees have access to all seven health/disability days at the beginning of their contract.  Health/Disability leave days are prorated based on the number of hours an employee works.  For example:  If you are a part-time employee that works 3.5 hours per day, you would have access to seven days times 3.5 hours or 24 and ½ hours of health/disability leave when you start employment.   If you start mid-year the leave will be prorated.  Tenured employees have access to the 180-day health disability.

How do I make an appointment to be fingerprinted?

Log on to the Alpine School District website (alpineschools.org/hr).  Click on the orange button in the upper left-hand corner.

How are steps calculated when I have previous teaching experience?

Educators who have previously taught outside Alpine School District and who have not retired from a career in education shall be awarded year for year experience up to step ten (10) on the salary schedule.  In order for these steps to be counted, you must have had a valid teaching license at the time of your previous experience.  Official documentation must be turned into the Human Resource office by your 40th contract day in order to get the credit.

When do I get my employee email?

New hires will receive an email, at their home email address, with all of their login information for their work email once they have filled out all of the hiring forms and have been marked active in the district system.  To access your work email account, you may use the following link:  ASD Gmail

For additional assistance with your email account please call Data Services at (801) 610-8432.

What do I claim on my W-4 form for tax exemptions?

The more allowances you claim, the less federal income tax your employer will withhold from your paycheck (bigger take-home pay). The fewer allowances you claim, the more federal income tax your employer will withhold from your paycheck (smaller take-home pay).

Before you assume that you’d always want the bigger check, consider this: The amount of withholding is credited towards your tax due each year. If you don’t have enough withholding, you’ll owe Uncle Sam at tax time. If you have too much withholding, you’ll be entitled to a refund. The key is to find the right balance.

Where do I find the Employee Service Portal? How do I log in?

The link is on the Alpine School District website under Employees (alpineschools.org/employee-portal).  Your username and password should be your universal username and password (same one as when you log in to your work computer).

What is my lane and step?

Log in to the Employee Service Portal (alpineschools.org/employee-portal). Click the Payroll tab. Click on Salary Compensation in the upper right-hand corner. The next screen shows your lane and step.

What is my Cactus ID?

Your Cactus ID is the number the Utah State Board of Education assigns you when you get fingerprinted/background checked to become a teacher.  If you don’t remember your cactus number you can ask a Human Resource Specialist to help you.

How do I know which insurance plan I am on?

It is listed on your EMI Health card that was mailed to you.  If you cannot find your card call EMI Health at (800) 662-5851 and ask which plan you are on and order a new card.

How do I add my new spouse to my insurance?

Congratulations!  Bring your marriage certificate to the Human Resource Office within 31 days of the wedding and fill out an insurance change form.  The insurance for your spouse will start the day of the wedding.  If you miss the 31-day window you will have to wait until Open Enrollment or another qualifying event.

How do I add my new baby to my insurance?

Congratulations!   Come into the Human Resource Office within 31 days of the baby’s birth and fill out an insurance change form.  Please bring the baby’s social security number with you if you have received it.

I’ve had a baby. What do I need to do to get my sick leave approved?

In order to approve your sick leave, we need your doctor to fax HR a letter, 801-610-8490, identifying you as the patient, giving us the date of birth and the doctor’s recovery recommendations.  This letter needs to be from a medical doctor and have the doctor’s original signature.  Once we have the doctor’s letter we will notify you and your principal in writing that your sick leave is approved.

I’ve scheduled a surgery. What do I need to do to get my sick leave approved?

Any employee who has taken sick leave more than twenty-one consecutive calendar days must supply the Human Resource Department with a doctor’s letter including the nature of the disability and a prognosis of when the employee can return to work.

How do I find out how much FLEX money I have left in my account?

Call AxisPlus T (800) 872-2125 or log on to myaxisplus.com and register for an account.

I’m turning age 65. Do I need to sign up for Medicare while I’m still working?

Not if you are currently enrolled in EMI Health Medical Insurance.  Some people may choose to sign up for Medicare Part A as soon as they are eligible because it is free and would give you double coverage. The only exception is if you’re still hoping to contribute to a health savings account, which you can’t do if you have Medicare.

I’m not returning to work this fall, can I pay to keep my insurance going?

Call EMI Health at (800) 662-5851 and ask about COBRA benefits.

Can I get an appointment to talk with someone about my retirement benefits?

If you are within a year or two of retiring call Human Resources and ask to schedule a retirement appointment. If you need information from Utah Retirement Systems on your retirement plan, log in to myURS at www.urs.org and click on the Education link. Go to the Individual Retirement Planning Sessions and schedule a time. This is a one-on-one appointment with a Financial Advisor from URS. They come to the Alpine District Office once a month for your convenience.  We also provide Retirement Seminars in January each year.  Watch your email for details as January approaches.

How do I do a Lane Change?

Go to the Alpine School District website and click on the Human Resource link under District.  Click on the Documents/Forms/Calendars under the Employee Resource tab.  Click on Certified Forms.  You will see a Lane Change folder.  Inside the folder are information sheets on each lane change, as well as an application.  If you have additional questions once you have read through the information call the Human Resource Office at (801) 610-8443.